12 June, 2012

Author Interview: Tami Kidd


Mara Byrne is devastated when her husband dies unexpectedly. Her world is turned upside down when she discovers a love letter from another woman while going through her husband's belongings. Now she has questions that only the other woman can answer. She enlists the help of a handsome private detective, Alex Strange. Together they encounter danger and many surprises. Join them in the hunt for the truth.
~~~ ( Summary from GoodReads) ~~~


An Interview with the Author - Tami Kidd


DDS: Tell us a little bit about yourself.  
I’m a 52 year old woman who has had many joys and sorrows.  I chose to embrace the sorrows and grow through them and I chose to live my life with passion for my family and for the thrill that writing brings me.

DDS: What got you into writing?  
I like to think of it as writing got into me.  I started very young journaling and writing poetry and stories, but it wasn’t until later in my life that I actually challenged myself to write a novel in one month as part of the 2010 NanoWrimo event. 

DDS: Tell us about Let Sleeping Dogs Lie.
It’s a story about a woman who after almost 30 years of marriage to the same man found that she may not have known him as much as she thought she did.  When he died suddenly and she found a letter from another woman in his belongings, she wanted to find out exactly what had been going on with her husband and the “other” woman.  She happens to encounter a private detective, who offers to help her find the answers she so desperately wants.  Together they find danger and surprises around every turn.

DDS: What is the USP of this book? 
I've never really given a USP much thought, because when I originally wrote the book, it was for my eyes only.  I didn't really intend to sell the book.

What makes my book unique and stand out is that by reading Let Sleeping Dogs Lie, people will learn something about themselves.  Everyone understands that sometimes life throws unexpected challenges and surprises our way.  But what you don't know is how you will react to those challenges and surprises.  The readers will be able to relate to Mara and Alex.  They will understand Mara's desire to find answers because they will recognize the same desire in themselves.  The story is more than a story about Mara and Alex, it's a journey of discovery into our own lives. 

DDS: What was the hardest part about writing the book?
Definitely the rewrites, it seemed like I was never satisfied with what was on the page.   
    
DDS: What are your writing pet peeves? 
I don’t really have any writing pet peeves as a writer.  As a reader, I find it distracting to stop and look up the definitions of words.   I don’t think “real” people use complicated words in their everyday dialog.  I find it easier to relate to the characters if they think and talk like everyday people. 

DDS: Who is your favourite Character? (one of your own creation – published/unpublished)
Mara Byrne from Let Sleeping Dogs Lie, because she has more of myself in her than any of my other characters.

DDS: Now time for some fun facts about you. If ‘Let Sleeping Dogs Lie’ was to be turned into a movie – which Actor/Actress would you like to see playing the characters? 
Oh my, that is a good question.  I’ve never given it much thought.  I didn’t have anyone in particular in mind when I wrote it, but now that the question has been put before me, I think I would have to say, Ashley Judd as Mara and Mark Ruffalo as Alex.  They are both too young to play them now, but by the time a movie is make they might just be the perfect age,

DDS: Who is your favourite author & which is your favourite book? I know it is beyond difficult, but you can name only one in each category!! 
I know it will seem like a surprise but I absolutely loved The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller.  I know it wasn’t a literary masterpiece, but it touched me.  I cried and cried. The characters were so real and human.  I tried my best to prove that Robert Kincaid was a real person, but sadly he was only fictional.

As far as my favorite author, that is a hard one.  If you ask me the same question next week, I’d probably give you a different answer.  I think my favorite author changes according to my mood, for example, one day I might be in a light and playful mood and want to read Janet Evanovich and another day I might be in a dark, depressed mood and Stephen King might suit me more.   So now at this moment I think my favorite author would have to be Greg Iles for his mysteries.  I love a good mystery.  

DDS: One thing readers would be surprised to know about you… 
That this question has almost driven me to have a panic attack!  I wanted to give the readers something that they would be surprised to find out, but the truth is, most everything I could say, so could a lot of other people.  I don’t write in a favorite shirt or pair of socks, I don’t write to music, I don’t have to have complete silence.  I’m not weird.  I don’t drink or do drugs to increase my creativity.  I’m just a normal, woman in her 50’s who has been divorced and remarried and raised two kids and now wants to spend my golden years writing stories for others to enjoy.

DDS: Besides writing, what else do you enjoy?
I enjoy spending time with my daughter and my husband.  My three dogs and chickens also keep me busy.  I enjoy the simple things in life.  Like watching a movie with my sweetie and munching on popcorn.    

DDS: What’s the one thing that you want your readers to take away from this book? 
I would like them to have a feeling of satisfaction when they finish the book.  I want them to want more of the characters.  I want them to think of them as real people and wonder about their lives.  I want them to be taken on a ride.

DDS: Anything else you would like to say to your readers/fans?
I want to thank everyone who has given me the opportunity to take you to a place that started out in my head and ended up in your hands and in your minds.  I want to thank you for allowing me to share a part of myself with you and I truly hope you enjoy it. 

DDS: How can your readers reach out to you?
They can reach me through my Website or on Facebook or on Twitter 

Check out the Cool Book Trailer



 You can find out more about Ms.Tami Kidd and her book "Let the Sleeping Dogs Lie" at Indie House Books

You can Buy the Book at:



Also, you have a chance to get your hands on a free Paperback Copy of "Let the Sleeping Dogs Lie". Enter yourself in my 250 Follower Giveaway where a copy of the book is up for grabs!!


No comments:

Post a Comment